The PRO-LC Advocate of the Year Award
The PRO-LC Advocate of the Year Award (formerly Physician/Healthcare Provider of the Year) the highest honor given by our organization, is awarded annually to a person or practice in recognition of “outstanding advocacy, which supports, promotes, and protects breastfeeding.” This year the membership can consider nominees for this award among all categories including a physician, another healthcare provider, such as a midwife, nurse practitioner, physician’s assistant, or a community member who exemplifies breastfeeding advocacy and excellence in practice.
The recipients are selected by the PRO-LC Board of Directors; nominations are sought from the general PRO-LC membership. Criteria considered, when determining who should receive this distinction, include:
- Is the provider knowledgeable about current breastfeeding management practices?
- Does the provider make appropriate referrals (to IBCLCs or a support group) for lactation issues?
- Is the provider receptive to information and research provided by IBCLCs?
- Does the provider promote breastfeeding among his/her colleagues (through lectures, grand rounds, or in other ways)?
- Do mothers report that their provider is supportive of their breastfeeding goals?
- Does the office setting (posters, freebies, magazines) promote breastfeeding – and support the WHO Code [regarding ethical marketing of breastmilk substitutes]?
The Advocate of the Year addresses PRO-LC at its member meeting in January, when the recipients receive
- a framed certificate memorializing the award
- a lifetime membership in PRO-LC
- one year membership in ILCA (International Lactation Consultant Association) and the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- a copy of the current edition of Hale’s Medications and Mother’s Milk, and a copy of the Philadelphia Breastfeeding Resource Handbook (a.k.a. “The Pink Book”).
Advocate of the Year, nominations are now open!
When thinking of the person you want to nominate,
please use this Nomination Form
Recipients of the PRO-LC Health Practitioner of the Year include:
|2015||Tina Moyer-Fuchs, NNP from Penn State Health, St. Joseph and Dr. Jodi Zisk, DO(View Press Release)|
|2014||Ruth Wilf, CNM|
Recipients of the PRO-LC Physician of the Year include:
|2015||Jodi Fisk, DO (View Press Release)|
|2014||Drs. Berger and Fisher|
|2012||Curt Parnes, MD (View Press Release)|
|2011||Mary Kline, MD|
|2010||Kelly Wade (View Press Release)|
|2009||Esther Chung, MD (View Press Release)|
|2008||Gail Herrine, MD (View Press Release)|
|2007||Colleen Gulczynski, DO|
|2006||Delaware Valley Women’s Care [award given to entire practice]
Richard Gersh, MD
Rebecca Gould, MD
Elizabeth Louka, MD
|2005||David Banner, MD|
|2004||Vinod K. Bhutani, MD, FAAP|
|2003||Deborah A. Sandrock, MD (View Press Release)|
|2002||Jeanette Pleasure, MD (View Press Release)|
|2001||Einstein Neighborhood Healthcare [award given to entire practice]
Freyda Neyman, MD
Kathryn Limmer, MD (View Press Release)
|2000||Juliet Marciano, MD (View Press Release)|
|1999||Brad Dyer, MD (View Press Release)|
|1998||Society Hill Pediatrics, P.C.[award given to entire practice]
Janet Crino, MD
Shea Conley, MD
Cynthia Hill, MD
M. Bidi McSorley MD
Elizabeth L. Robbins, MD
Beverly Viscusi, CRNP
|1997||Kids First, Coatesville [award given to entire practice]
Bruce Tilton, MD
Joan Magee, MD
|1996||Penny Soppas, MD [received IBCLC certification 2002]|
|1995||John Ickler, MD [deceased 2000]|
|1994||English Willis, MD|
|1993||Joan Adler, MD|
If you are a PRO-LC member who knows a physician or practice worthy of the distinguished PRO-LC Physician of the Year Award, nominations are accepted year-round. Please use the following form to submit your nomination to the PRO-LC Board of Directors.